Parenthood is an amazing journey in itself. There are moments of sheer joy that outshine any other joyful moment in your life, and there are moments of total sleep deprivation that drain you more than anything prior to that. Becoming a parent exposes a side of yourself that you have never seen before – something that you may not even be able to predict accurately until it happens.
Looking back at the previous year, I can’t help wonder how we enter adulthood having forgotten most of the axioms we followed as children. As a parent, as I reinforce these axioms to my children, I recall how I used to follow them too. Here are a few in no particular order:
- Live in the present. Forget the past.
- Eat well and eat right.
- Sleep early, and sleep well.
- Be polite and nice to people around you.
- Share what you have with others around you.
- Display empathy and help others that need help.
- Be content with what you have.
- Enjoy every minute of your life.
- Display endless curiosity about everything around you.
- Don’t take no for an answer.
- If you don’t succeed, keep trying.
- It is okay to fail.
- Don’t spend all your time in front of the television or computing devices.
- Be physically active every day.
- Get your hands dirty while having fun with whatever you do.
- Be thankful for your life, and those that made it possible.
As we start another year, wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could all feed our inner babies and nourish our souls? How would you like your life to change this year?